The Boating Club at Stillwater is a non-profit organisation, and occupies Buster Elliott Memorial Reserve on Duck Creek Road on the Weiti River. It was founded by the Stillwater community over 45 years ago and is the only club of its type in Stillwater. The grounds are leased from the council and the club house and boatyard facilities are owned by the club.
The club’s committee is drawn from volunteers who give up time to ensure that the club gives the best that it can back to its members. The boat ramp was constructed by its members back in 1986, but in 2016 was replaced by the council, giving access to a modern state of the art, all tide launching facility.
The boat yard also has storage facilities for dinghies, haul out, and hard stand areas for maintenance work. Applications to rent the hardstand are available in the clubhouse, via the website, or contact the Yard Manager. Boat trailer parking is also available to club members only.
The clubhouse contains full bar and meal facilities, and with sub committee member support in organizing social and fishing events throughout the year we have some great times!
History of Stillwater
In the early 19th century Silverdale was established as a port for transporting kauri logs to Auckland.
Stillwater was also used as a secondary landing to transport logs, kauri gum and later fruit produce from orchards established on cleared land at Stillwater, Silverdale and Dairy Flat. As there was no roading sea was the only form of transport available.
The last shipment of kauri gum to leave Stillwater was in 1890. The pack horse tracks from Dairy Flat are still clearly visible on the Weiti Station property.
The first settler in Stillwater in 1852 was Andrew Weatherspoon Thorburn and his family. Part of his original holding is now a reserve and memorial park bequeathed on their farm. Several houses were built on the river's edge in the early days as more land was cleared and made available for farming. Some live stock was introduced, but fruit from orchards seemed to be the major produce transported to Auckland from Stillwater.Other early settlers included the Dacres, Percy, Blackshaw and McPike brothers families.
In 1950 the McPike brothers subdivided their farm to form what has become the Stillwater settlement known today. After the Second World War the motor camp was developed and a road from East Coast Road constructed. Prior to this there existed only a farm track to Stillwater with a ford crossing at Doctor's Creek.
The original bridge built was gradually improved over the years to the two lane concrete bridge today. In 1980 the Council began tar-sealing the road. In 1985 Stillwater was connected to the Whangaparaoa sewerage system and more substantial houses were built in the area.
By the year 2000, most of the power and telephone cables were put underground and footpaths formed the length of Stillwater Crescent. Houses were built on almost all the original sections developed and Stillwater could no longer be called a holiday resort; it had become a well established marine suburb.
In time Coastal Heights was developed followed by the adjoining Inlet Views property and new coastal development is taking place over the river opposite the Stillwater Boat Club.
Buildings continue to appear as land is cleared.